Video streaming is on the rise and Netflix is one of the big names when it comes to that field, most especially for movies and series. In the first quarter of 2020, Netflix had about 182 million paying streaming subscribers worldwide.
It is these excellent figures that have made Netflix think out of the box from better ways to serve their subscribers with better series and content.
During the pandemic period of COVID-19, most of our friends are separated and following the social distance. Hence, it good to have something that can help to relax our mind and chill out with our friends watching series together virtually. That’s were the concept and extension came into existence, named Netflix Party. It allows to host of the virtual watch party and share with friends and join the group conversation.
It is not an official extension and not endorsed by Netflix. However, a bunch of developers came together and build this amazing extension for free.
If you’re looking for a similar cool extension that can help to kill the boring time with friends and have a group chat and video conversation, you can consider using the Houseparty extension on chrome.
What is Netflix Party?
This is a Google Chrome browser extension that you can install to start watching movies and series with friends online.
The extension has the capability to synchronize video playback, that if one of the people watching pauses the movie, everyone’s screen will pause and resume at the same time.
There is also a group chat feature that allows you to share your thoughts about the movie or show currently airing.
Plus, it’s absolutely 100% free and does not require you to register or signup any account. Just install the free extension, create the Party link, and keep the show running.
Requirements for Netflix Party
In order to use the Netflix Party extension, here’s what you should have:
- A Netflix account that you can log into. Make sure that you’ve separate accounts and not the sharing account.
- A Google Chrome browser either on a Chromebook or a desktop computer for Windows 10 or on a Mac.
- A fast and reliable ISP connection.
Thankfully, you do not need to create an account or submit your credit card details anywhere. However, you can support the developers by becoming a Patreon.
How to download the Netflix Party extension?
Before you can use the extension, you will have to download it on to your browser. The Netflix Party extension is only available for the Chrome browser and available in the web store.
Here are the steps to install NetflixParty extension on the Chrome browser:
- Go to the Netflix Party website and click the Install Netflix Party. Alternatively, you can just visit the Chrome Extension page.
- Once at the Chrome Web Store, click Add to Chrome and then Add Extension command button.
- The extension will be downloaded and added to Google Chrome.
- On the upper right-hand corner, an NP logo icon will appear after installation.
Just click on the extension and get ready to use the Netflix Party extension and host a watch party together with friends.
How to Host a Netflix Watch Party?
Now that you have the extension downloaded and set up on your Chrome Browser, follow these steps to host your watch party:
- Go to the Netflix official website, select the movie or show you would like to watch and start playing the video.
The Netflix Party extension icon (NP) on your address bar will change from gray to red.
- Click on the Netflix Party icon and a window will pop up instructing you to Create a Netflix Party.
- You will then have two options to choose from. Either give yourself total control over the playback or leave it open to everyone.
- Once you have selected your preference, click Start the party. Another window will then pop up with a link.
- Click Copy URL and share that link with your friends. This link can be found anytime during the party by clicking the Netflix Party extension icon.
Netflix Party has a live comment section where you and your friends can share your thoughts about a particular scene in real-time.
You can hide or show the Netflix Party chatroom by clicking on the NP extension logo in the Chrome browser.
How to Join a Netflix Watch Party
What if you aren’t a host and have just been invited to the watch party. How do you join in the fun? Well, first grab some popcorn and…
- Ask the host of the watch party to share with you the link to the Netflix party.
- Once you receive a Netflix Party link, make sure you have the extension installed first. If not, you can click on this link and you will be redirected to the Netflix Party website to install the extension.
Once you open the link, your video will be sync with your friends and you can have real-time chat and fun together.
Bottom Line: Netflix Party Extension
I am one of those who like to share with my friends my thoughts about a particular movie. I love to comment on the lighting, script, acting, and so on. With the Netflix Party extension, I can comfortably do so remotely.
If you miss going to the cinemas with your friends, worry not, you can simply create a Netflix watch party, get instant popcorns and watch Netflix together, separately. This extension can be of great help when you and your friends are very far from each other.
Celebrities can also create watch parties and Netflix together with their fans. However, there is a limit of a maximum of 50 users can join per Netflix party.
How do you intend to use the Netflix watch party feature? Are you excited about it? Do you think it needs to allow support for mobile devices and other browsers? Share with us your thoughts in the comments section below.
Lastly, here are the recommended web browsers for your computer and mobile phone that you should give a try.
|Chrome Windows||Chrome Mac||Chrome iOS||Chrome Android||Firefox Linux|
|Firefox Windows||Safari Mac||Safari iOS||Edge Android||Chrome Linux|
|Edge Windows||Firefox Mac||Edge iOS||Samsung Internet||Edge Linux|
If you've any thoughts on How to Setup and Use Netflix Party Chrome Extension?, then feel free to drop in below comment box. Also, please subscribe to our BrowserHow YouTube channel for videos tutorials. Cheers!