I love comedy so I am constantly on the internet looking for any comedy videos I can watch to cheer me up. Some videos are so funny I am compelled to share them with my friends and that means I would need to download them.
On Mozilla Firefox, downloading videos from sites such as YouTube, Facebook, and Vimeo among others has been made easy thanks to a tone of add-ons. These add-ons or extensions will automatically integrate into online streaming sites and help in downloading the videos in various file formats.
You can even download the audio tracks and mobile ringtones from online videos using these Firefox add-ons in different formats.
In this article, I will walk you through how to use select add-ons that I have used and recommend downloading online videos. Let’s dive right in.
Disclaimer: downloading videos from online video streaming sites is illegal, please consider this article for information purposes only. We do not promote piracy in any medium.
How to Install the Video Downloader Firefox add-on?
Now, before you even start the process of downloading any videos, you will need to first download the add-on.
The add-on is a piece of software that helps in enhancing the capability of the Firefox browser. If you’ve ever heard about the Google Chrome extensions, it’s the same thing but in Firefox terminology.
Thankfully, there are lots of add-ons available on the Mozilla Firefox add-ons site. Here’s how to download and install one:
- Launch the Mozilla Firefox browser on your computer.
- Click on for menu options located on the right-hand side.
- Choose the Add-ons option from the list. This will open the Firefox Add-ons Manager window.
You can also open using the Firefox keyboard shortcut: + + in Windows or Linux and + + on Mac.
- Now within the Add ons Manager search bar, look up for video downloader in the Find more add-ons field.
- This will open the search results in a new tab.
- Select the video downloader of your choice.
I would recommend you take a look at the ratings of each add-on before you download it.
- Click and open the add-ons details page.
- Click on
button and the Software Installation window will appear after the add-on has been downloaded.
- Click the button and your extension will be installed.
The newly installed add-on will appear Add-ons Manager window under the Extensions tab. You will be able to manage the extensions like enable or disable as well as removing from Firefox.
Download videos using Firefox Add-on
Now that we have installed the required extension or add-on in the Firefox browser, the next thing will be downloading the videos from streaming sites.
Thankfully, we do not need to register ourselves on any site before getting started with downloading the online videos. And of course, these add-ons are completely free.
Download YouTube videos using Firefox add-ons
If you are downloading YouTube videos, I recommend you use the Easy YouTube Video downloader I linked below.
Once is add-on is installed, follow these steps to download youtube videos using the add-on in Firefox:
- Go to YouTube and play the video you would like to download.
- Below the video – near the subscribe to this channel button, you will see a green
- Click on it and a drop-down menu will appear.
- Select the File format you would like to download in and a download dialogue box will appear.
- Select the destination folder in the file explorer for downloading the file.
button to begin the downloading.
- Your download will start and once completed you can find it in your specified download destination.
You can choose the file format that you need to download the video from YouTube. You can also export the music videos in audio formats like mp3. You can even have the quality choice of video to be saved on your computer.
Here is a direct link to the firefox add-on for downloading the YouTube videos. Make sure to open the Firefox browser on the computer for ease of download.
Firefox add-on: download online videos
If you want to download a video from other sites other than YouTube, say Facebook, Twitter, and Twitch, I recommend you use the Video download helper add-on. I’ve added the direct download link to the add-on below.
While the steps for downloading the other online videos are the same as the aforementioned YouTube video downloading. You will however need to install a video download companion app as it is needed for video downloads from selected sites.
Make sure the Video DownloadHelper Firefox add-on is already installed and proceed to the below steps:
- Go to the site (for example, Facebook Video) that contains the video you would like to download.
- Play the video on the website.
- Once the video is playing, click the Video DownloadHelper icon next to the Firefox URL address bar.
- A pop-up will appear with the different formats you could download the video in.
- If the video needs the download companion app installed, you will be prompted to install it.
- Click on the download icon and the download will start.
- When done, the downloaded video file will be saved in a folder in your C:\ partition on the computer within the DWHelper.
And just like that, your video has been downloaded and you can go ahead and share it with your friends.
Here is the direct download link for Video DownloadHelper Firefox add-on to download the videos from Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Twitch, and other streaming sites.
Note that the video companion software is optional, and should be installed only if required for the specific site when prompted — this is a one-time process.
Bottom Line: Firefox Video Download Add-on
Mozilla Firefox has made it really simple and easy for everyone to download online videos without any issues. Perhaps, Google Chrome is quite stringent and does not allow such video downloader extensions in its Chrome web store library.
In a quest to save data that could be used for constantly streaming these videos, you could download them instead. You also need to make sure you have enough storage space on your computer or you will encounter problems.
I advise that you download only the videos you are sure you will need otherwise you will just have lots of videos seated on your computer, occupying space.
What kind of videos interest you? Are they movie trailers, tutorials, or music videos? Follow the steps above to download these videos and watch them offline any day at any time.
FAQs: Download Online Videos using Firefox Add-Ons
Now, let us go through all the major frequently asked questions regarding how to download the online Videos in Firefox using Add-Ons.
How to install Video downloader Firefox Add-on?
Launch the Firefox browser and click on the menu icon at the top right corner of Firefox and select Add-ons. Now using the search bar tab search for the video downloader add-on and select the one that you want to download. Finally, download and install the ad on your device.
Which video downloader add-on is suitable to download the youtube videos?
Easy Youtube Video Downloader is the most recommended video downloader add-on for downloading youtube videos in Firefox.
How to download the online video using the Firefox add-on?
Open the site where you want to browse the video and play the video, While the video is being played click on the video downloader add-on icon just at the side of the search bar. Now, if the add-on requires any add-ons then it will ask you to download it so firstly download it and then download the video.