The Mozilla Firefox is enabled with an auto-update feature in the background. However, due to network or configuration issues, the update may not work even after manually hitting the Check for update button. To process the Firefox update, switch to a stable internet connection, run the Firefox program as Administrator, update the operating system, or manually install the latest version from the official source.
If the computer belongs to a school/workplace, the admin may have blocked your access to install apps or app updates.
Bugs on the PC may also stop you from installing a new update to Firefox. Other programs running simultaneously on the computer may also hinder the installation of version updates on Firefox.
In this guide, I have shared some troubleshooting tips. These tips will help you fix all these update installation issues and help you update Firefox on your computer.
On this page, you can find and jump to:
How to Update Mozilla Firefox
If you are new to Firefox, you may have doubts regarding updating Firefox on your PC. Installing updates on the browser is very simple. Here are the steps for that.
- Launch Mozilla Firefox on your PC.
- At the top-right corner, click the More menu button.
- From the menu, click on Settings.
- On the left-hand side, select the General tab.
- Scroll to the Firefox updates section, and click the
Also, enable Automatically Install Updates to install updates even when Firefox is not running. If the update is not happening, you can start troubleshooting and update Firefox to its latest build.
Fix your Internet Connection
Resolving the issue of poor internet connection should solve the Firefox update problem. Start by running a speed test to determine the network speed. You may restart the WiFi router and reconnect your PC to it.
Connect your PC to another stable network. Access Mozilla Firefox and install pending updates.
There are a few other simple troubleshooting steps that you can begin with before moving to the advanced methods mentioned below.
Manually Reinstall the Latest Version of Firefox
You can manually install the latest version of Firefox on your PC.
- Download the newest build of Mozilla Firefox from the official site.
- Locate the installer in the Downloads folder of your PC.
- Double-click the installer to launch it.
- When the User Account Control dialog opens, it will ask if you want to allow the Firefox Installer to change your computer. Click on
- Wait for the Firefox installation to complete, and it will launch automatically.
Close Other Programs
Before you update Firefox, close other browser apps running in the background, and you can terminate the programs from the Task Manager.
- Press + to launch the power user menu.
- From the menu, select Task Manager from the list.
- Under Apps, scroll to the apps that you want to close.
- Right-click on the app name and select the End Task command.
Force Close and Relaunch Firefox
Force closing Firefox to squash minor glitches on the interface and the backend, allowing you to update it without errors.
- Launch Task Manager of Windows by pressing + + .
- Go to Firefox, right-click on it, and from the context menu, select End Task.
- After a few seconds, Open the Firefox browser on the computer.
- Now, attempt to Update Firefox as mentioned earlier.
Run Firefox as an Administrator
As an administrator, you can run the Firefox installer or launch the firefox.exe file on your PC. If you are installing a new version of Firefox:
- Right-click on the installer and select Run As Administrator.
- If the User Account Control dialog box appears, click
It will allow the installer to make changes to the PC.
- Follow the general instructions to complete the installation.
Have you already installed Firefox? To launch it as an administrator:
- Go to the directory on your PC where you have installed Firefox. Locate the “firefox.exe” file, right-click on it, and select Run As Administrator option.
C:\\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
- Once Firefox launches, head to the settings and update it.
Update Mozilla Firefox on your Computer
Updating the browser helps you enjoy the new features it has to offer. Also, browser upgrade brings optimization to its overall performance. If you cannot update Firefox on your computer, implement the tips and tricks in this guide. That will resolve the issue.
Lastly, if you've any thoughts or feedback, then feel free to drop in below comment box. You can also report the outdated information.