Microsoft Edge browser is the new guy in the browser community developed by the Microsoft team. It builds over the Chromium project which also powers Google Chrome. It’s
currently available in BETA (stable) and ready to download across big and small devices.
My college friend bought a new laptop for himself recently and needed help with the Microsoft Edge Chromium download. I readily agreed to help.
In this blog post, we will learn how to download Edge Chromium on any computer running on Windows, Mac, or Linux OS. Also, just like Chrome has different channels, Microsoft Edge does have the same.
Please do not get confused with the native legacy Edge browser that Microsoft has introduced with Windows 10 OS. Though the browser still comes pre-installed with Windows 10 OS, it’s slowly going to be replaced with the Microsoft Edge (Chromium) version.
Let’s get started with downloading and installing the Microsoft Edge browser:
Download Microsoft Edge for Windows OS
Microsoft Edge is the latest browser that has been developed for Windows OS. The Edge is still in the beta stage of development, however, it’s most stable and ready to use.
Follow these steps to download Edge Chromium on Windows:
- Go to the Microsoft Edge Insider website from your Windows machine (link added below).
- You’ll be able to see the Download Beta Channel for Windows 10 button, hit on it.
- Accept and install an Edge on the dialog box.
- The MicrosoftEdgeSetup.exe installer will be downloaded on your machine in the Downloads folder.
Here are steps to install Microsoft Edge on Windows OS:
- Open the downloaded installer file and allow installation by hitting the Yes command.
- The Edge installation will start with a progress bar.
- Once the installation is completed on Windows OS, the Edge will open and start running.
That’s it. We have successfully downloaded and installed the Microsoft Edge browser on Windows OS.
Microsoft Edge currently supports Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7. The above steps will aid in Edge Chromium download.
Download Microsoft Edge for Mac OSX
Microsoft has also built the Edge for macOS machines like Macbook and Macs. The Microsoft Edge is available for download for Mac on the same insider website.
Follow these steps to download Microsoft Edge for Mac OSX:
- Go to the Microsoft Edge Insider website (link added below).
- Click on the Download Beta Channel for macOS.
- Hit on Accept and download button on the license terms dialog box.
- The MicrosoftEdgeBeta-XXX.pkg file will be download in Finder > Downloads.
Below are the steps to install Microsoft Edge on Mac OS machines:
- Double-click on the downloaded package file to run the installer.
- Hit on the
button on the installer dialog window.
- The installation will begin and finishes automatically on your macOS.
- Close the window and access the Microsoft Edge browser from the Applications folder in Finder.
That’s it. We have now successfully download and install the Microsoft Edge (Chromium) on the macOS machine.
Download Microsoft Edge for Linux OS
Microsoft Edge is
currently not supported for Linux based operating systems. However, it’s still under development and does not support a stable version. You are free to download the DEV channel.
If you visit the Microsoft Edge Insider site on your Linux machine, you can see this message:
Here is the list of all currently supported platforms and operating systems other than Linux .DEB.
Alternative to Microsoft Edge for Computers/Laptops
The Microsoft Edge is currently in beta which raises a lot of stability issues around using the browser. However, there are few strong browsers that you can consider as an alternative to the Edge browser:
- Download Google Chrome for Windows
- Download Mozilla Firefox for Computer
- Download Apple Safari on Computer
- Download Opera Browser for Desktop PC
Google Chrome and Safari are leading browsers, however, once the Edge is out pre-installed in Windows 10, the dependency on Google Chrome might reduce.
Bottom Line: Microsoft Edge Download
Microsoft Edge browser is among the leading browsers. Although with the popularity of Google Chrome, it has been treated as an underdog. It comes pre-installed in the Windows 10 OS, however, it is getting replaced with the Edge Chromium.
In this article, I have mentioned all the steps that are required for Edge Chromium download. It is available for download and installation on all OS except Linux.
I helped my college friend set up his new laptop and also in Edge Chromium download. He was very happy with the result.
Let us know if you’re facing any challenges while installing the Microsoft Edge on your computer in the comments below.
Lastly, here are the recommended web browsers for your computer and mobile phone that you should give a try.
|Chrome Windows||Chrome Mac||Chrome iOS||Chrome Android||Firefox Linux|
|Firefox Windows||Safari Mac||Safari iOS||Edge Android||Chrome Linux|
|Edge Windows||Firefox Mac||Edge iOS||Samsung Internet||Edge Linux|
If you've any thoughts on How to Download Microsoft Edge (Chromium) on Computer?, then feel free to drop in below comment box. If you find this article helpful, please consider sharing it with your network.
Also, please subscribe to our BrowserHow YouTube channel for helpful videos tutorials.