Microsoft Edge browser is the new guy in the browser community developed by the Microsoft team. It builds over the Chromium project which also powers Google Chrome. It’s currently available in BETA and ready to download across big and small devices.
In this blog post, we will learn how to download Microsoft Edge (Chromium) on any computer running on Windows, Mac or Linux OS. Also, just like Chrome has different channels, Microsoft Edge does have the same.
Please do not get confused with the native edge browser that Microsoft has introduced with Windows 10 OS. Though the browser is still comes pre-installed in Windows 10 OS, its slowly going to replace with the Microsoft Edge (Chromium) version.
Let’s get started with downloading and installing Microsoft Edge browser —
Download Microsoft Edge for Windows OS
Microsoft Edge is the latest browser that has developed for Windows OS. The Edge is still a beta stage of development, however, it’s most stable and ready to use.
Follow these steps to download the Microsoft Edge on Windows:
- Go to the Microsoft Edge Insider website from your Windows machine (link added below).
- You’ll be able to see the Download Beta Channel for Windows 10 button, hit on it.
- Accept and install an Edge on the dialog box.
- The MicrosoftEdgeSetup.exe installer will be downloaded on your machine in the Downloads folder.
Here are steps to install Microsoft Edge on Windows OS:
- Open the downloaded installer file and allow installation by hitting Yes command.
- The Edge installation will start with a progress bar.
- Once the installation is completed on Windows OS, the Edge will open and start running.
That’s it. We have successfully download and installed the Microsoft Edge browser on Windows OS.
Microsoft Edge currently supports Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7.
Download Microsoft Edge for Mac OSX
The Microsoft has also built the Edge for macOS machines like Macbook and Macs. The Microsoft Edge is available for download for Mac on the same insider website.
Follow these steps to download Microsoft Edge for Mac OSX:
- Go to the Microsoft Edge Insider website (link added below).
- Click on the Download Beta Channel for macOS.
- Hit on Accept and download button on the license terms dialog box.
- The MicrosoftEdgeBeta-XXX.pkg file will be download in Finder > Downloads.
Below are the steps to install Microsoft Edge on Mac OS machines:
- Double-click on downloaded package file to run the installer.
- Hit on the Continue button on the installer dialog window.
- The installation will begin and finishes automatically on your macOS.
- Close the window and access the Microsoft Edge browser from the Applications folder in Finder.
That’s it. We have now successfully download and install the Microsoft Edge (Chromium) on the macOS machine.
Download Microsoft Edge for Linux OS
Microsoft Edge is currently not supported for any Linux based operating systems. However, there is a feature request and also few recent development tweaks that anticipate Microsoft working on Edge for Linux.
If you visit the Microsoft Edge Insider site on your Linux machine, you can see this message:
Here is the list of all currently supported platforms and operating systems.
Alternative to Microsoft Edge for Computers/Laptops
The Microsoft Edge is currently in beta which raises a lot of stability and issues around using the browser. However, there are few strong browsers that you can consider as an alternative to Edge browser:
- Download Google Chrome for Windows
- Download Mozilla Firefox for Computer
- Download Apple Safari on Computer
- Download Opera Browser for Desktop PC
Google Chrome and Safari are leading browsers, however, once the Edge is out pre-installed in Windows 10, the dependency on Google Chrome might reduce.
Let us know if you’re facing any challenges while installing the Microsoft Edge on your computer.
If you've any thoughts on How to Download Microsoft Edge (Chromium) on Computer?, then feel free to drop in below comment box. Also, please subscribe to our BrowserHow YouTube channel for amazing videos tips. Cheers!