The Windows operating system is pretty popular but I can’t say the same for its browsers. Right from the internet explorer, the Microsoft browsers have been known for their annoying speeds and inconvenience.
The introduction of Windows 10 back in 2015 lead to the death of the Internet Explorer while introducing Microsoft Edge (legacy) to us. It, however, is a bit laggy and inconvenient in comparison with other browsers available. Unfortunately, it is built into the operating system and this means that you uninstall it in the standard way.
Over a period of time, Microsoft realizes that its native edge browser is on the verge of dead-bed. Hence, they embrace the open-source chromium and rebuild the Edge browser in chromium version.
Microsoft Edge chromium was in BETA for over two years now, and they recently made it publicly available on moved out of BETA. Just like Edge (legacy) browser, Microsoft is shoving the Edge (Chromium) to users with Windows 10 updates in 2020.
Recently, there has been a buzz around this forced bloatware that Windows has released along with quarterly updates. The Windows PC user isn’t happy with this addition and raging towards uninstalling the Microsoft Edge Chromium version.
Thankfully with all the developments around the technology, there are various ways. You can uninstall Microsoft Edge using PowerShell, third party apps, or disable it from the installation folder. I’ve listed all these techniques in this blog post.
Uninstalling Microsoft Edge via Control Panel
There are also reports that Microsoft Edge chromium is being forcefully downloaded and installed on older Windows PC versions like Windows 7 and 8.
The below method works only if you have Windows 7, 8, and later versions prior to Windows 10. It will not work if you have Windows 10 OS as Edge is now part of Windows OS and may not appear in Control Panel.
- Open Start menu and search for the Control Panel.
- Proceed to Programs and Features.
- Choose Microsoft Edge from the list and right-click.
- Hit on the Uninstall command option, and Microsoft Edge will be removed from your computer.
If you have manually installed the Edge chromium browser, these steps will be useful in that case as well.
Using PowerShell Command Line
If you are comfortable with using PowerShell, this is a great option. This option however may not work with the latest Windows 10 builds as Microsoft is making it harder and harder to uninstall their new default browser.
However, you can try your luck to see if this is working on your system. Make sure to run the PowerShell as Administrator.
- Search PowerShell in the taskbar search box and select it from the list of results.
- Right-click the PowerShell icon and select Run as Administrator.
- Enter the Get-AppxPackage command so that you can view all installed apps. Type in the following Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullName and press .
- Search for the result that contains the text Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge. Here is an example of how it will look:
- Copy the full value and edit the Get-AppxPackage command replacing PackageFullName with the copied information. It should look something like this:
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_44.18362.1.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe | Remove-AppxPackage
This will remove and uninstall the Microsoft Edge browser from your Windows computer. As mentioned, it might not work in a few cases if the Windows is updated to the latest due to Microsoft’s hard software policies.
Rename and Disable Microsoft Edge in Windows
Here, you are basically opting for the safest and easiest method. It will disable the Microsoft Edge browser and will save all the data associated with the browser. However, in the event that you update your Windows, the app will be re-enabled. However, worry not because you can follow these same steps to disable it again.
- Go to your Local Disk C:\ or Windows OS installation drive.
- Open the folder with preinstalled Windows apps. You can follow this path if you’re Windows is installed in C Drive; C:\Windows\SystemApps.
- Search for the folder with a name starting with Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge.
Be careful not to choose the folder named Microsoft.MicrosoftEdgeDevToolsClient.
- Proceed to rename the folder with anything of your choice – just appending _disable should do work.
This makes it impossible for the browser to start since the system can’t find its required file.
If the Edge browser is set to run when Windows Startup, then you might encounter the error message. Just disable Microsoft Edge from msconfig under Startup tab services.
Use a third-party app to uninstall
Kindly note that this method will not work for the latest Windows 10 build, after version 1903 since Microsoft improved its mechanism against third-party apps.
To uninstall any program, I personally use Geek uninstaller which is free to download and just under 3MB in size. Although there are a bunch of other great tools like; IObit and Bulk, among others available.
- Start by downloading the app from geekuninstaller.com.
- Install the app on your machine and open it.
- Select all Microsoft Edge program and right-click on the selected area
- Then click the Uninstall command from the options menu.
- Confirm the action to complete uninstallation.
Bottom Line: Uninstall Edge Chromium from Windows
We have listed different ways to uninstall the pre-installed Edge browser from Windows OS 2020 update. You can try one after the other method and check which one helps in removing the Edge chromium from the latest Windows 10 update.
Unfortunately, the Windows updates do not give the full control over what to install and disallow from update installation. So the only option available for us is to manually delete the edge from PC.
What reason do you have for installing the Microsoft Edge browser? I personally do not use it as my first preference is Google Chrome. Therefore I wouldn’t want to have any useless apps wasting space on my device. That is a reason enough for me to uninstall it.
However, with Microsoft sending out updates every now and then which are meant to strengthen the browser against any uninstallation attempts, the safest option here would be to disable it and forget about it.
Let us know why you want to uninstall Microsoft Edge chromium from Windows OS? Also, which method has helped in your machine.
Lastly, here are the recommended web browsers for your computer and mobile phone that you should give a try.
|Chrome Windows||Chrome Mac||Chrome iOS||Chrome Android||Firefox Linux|
|Firefox Windows||Safari Mac||Safari iOS||Edge Android||Chrome Linux|
|Edge Windows||Firefox Mac||Edge iOS||Samsung Internet||Edge Linux|
If you've any thoughts on How to Uninstall Edge (Chromium) from Latest Windows 10?, then feel free to drop in below comment box. If you find this article helpful, please consider sharing it with your network.
Also, please subscribe to our BrowserHow YouTube channel for helpful videos tutorials.