Microsoft Edge use the WebView to render and display the content from the internet after processing the request. However, due to issue with WebView the Edge will display white or blank screen. You can check your network connection, update WebView to latest supporting version, update Edge browser, clear the cache and cookies collected in browser, etc., should fix the problem.
Usually, while accessing any website using Edge on your computer, you may encounter a white screen instead of the webpage. Primarily, if the network has some issue, it may affect the web browser.
The white or blank screen issue can happen if there is any technical issue with the current version of the Edge browser deployed on your PC. Random glitches on the PC or the Edge browser can also lead to the white screen issue on Edge.
In this guide, I have explained a few troubleshooting tips. That will fix the white or blank screen issue on Microsoft Edge. Let’s check them out.
On this page, you can find and jump to:
Update Microsoft Edge
Upgrade the Edge browser on your PC to its latest version. That will eliminate the technical bugs in its interface.
- Launch Edge browser on your computer.
- In the URL bar, type edge://settings and press key.
- On the left-hand sidebar, scroll to About Microsoft Edge and click on it.
Make sure the computer is connected to a WiFi network. The browser will update automatically.
Force Close Edge
Force close and relaunch the Edge browser to fix any random issues within the browser settings.
- Press + + to launch the Task Manager.
- Scroll to Edge, right-click on it, and select the End Task option.
- Use Windows Search to relaunch the Edge browser.
Browse the web using Edge, and observe if you encounter a white or blank screen during your browsing session.
Restart the Computer
Random glitches on the PC can cause a few apps to malfunction, including the browsers. A restart should fix the problem with the computer.
- Press the key to reveal the search box.
- Navigate to the bottom right corner of the box and click the Power icon.
- From the context menu, click on the Restart option.
You may update the system version of your computer to the latest build. That will also help in resolving bugs and errors on the device.
Download Latest WebView for Edge
WebView is a program that allows the Edge browser and other applications on the Windows PC to browse and view the internet. It’s one of the essential pieces of software that can affect the site’s appearance, leading to a white or blank screen.
You can download the latest version of WebView Engine based on your system configuration to fix the issue.
Connect the Device to a Stable Network
Disconnect your PC from the unstable WiFi network. If the network is disrupted frequently, it won’t load the webpages smoothly. It is a prominent cause of encountering a white or blank screen on the Edge browser.
Contact your ISP to troubleshoot the connectivity and other technical issues related to the web. Manually, you may restart the WiFi router or connect your computer to another network.
Clear the Browsing Data on Microsoft Edge
When the browser cache is filled with temporary data, that will cause the browser to perform slowly and show issues. The same problem can happen with the Edge browser as well. To fix that, clear the Edge browser cache.
- Open the Edge browser on our computer.
- Press the + + hotkeys to invoke the Clear Browsing Data dialog box.
- Select the checkboxes beside Cookies and Other Site, Browsing history, and Cached images & files.
- Click on the
- Close Microsoft Edge and reopen it.
Disable Hardware Acceleration
The hardware acceleration feature allows the browser to offload a task from the hardware. It assigns a particular task to the hardware for better performance.
Hardware acceleration can cause various functional issues on the browser. So, turn off the hardware acceleration on the Edge browser. It will solve the white/blank screen issue.
- Launch the Microsoft Edge browser.
- In the address bar, type edge://settings, and press key.
- On the left-hand sidebar. Select the System and Performance tab.
- Turn off the toggle switch for Use Hardware Acceleration When Available option.
Reset Microsoft Edge
When no other troubleshooting tip is working, reset Microsoft Edge. It will remove all the custom settings on the browser. Follow these steps to reset the Edge browser on your computer.
- Open the Edge browser on your PC.
- In the URL bar, enter edge://settings and press key.
- On the left-hand sidebar, scroll to Reset Settings and select it.
- On the right side, click Restore Settings to their Default Values option.
in the dialog box.
Once you have reset, launch the Edge browser. Keep browsing the internet, and check for the white/blank screen error. Most likely, the issue would get fixed after resetting.
Fix Issues on Edge Browser for PC
Over the recent years, Microsoft has stepped up from the Internet Explorer era. It now offers an interactive and new browsing platform like Edge. Fix any errors on the Edge browser, and enjoy your browsing session.
Lastly, if you've any thoughts or feedback, then feel free to drop in below comment box. You can also report the outdated information.