Most of us always look for a secure and private environment to work in. Imagine you are working on an important project on your laptop in a crowded cafe and someone starts lurking around. Would that make you comfortable to continue working on your laptop? Or will you walk away? I know we all will choose the latter.
It is no different online since many third-party apps or websites always look for opportunities to steal our data and track our activities. Hence, we should always do everything possible to prevent ourselves from regretting later. Some Firefox add-ons are explicitly designed to provide you with enhanced privacy and security.
I’ve constantly been threatened by data theft and fraud since I heard about my friend losing money in a scam. Henceforth, I always wanted to stay safe from it all. That’s when Firefox add-ons came into the picture. They have helped me a lot in protecting my privacy and dodged trackers as well.
We have created a list of Firefox’s best privacy and security add-ons to help you stay secure.
If you are looking for an add-on that cleans all the clutter of a web page and enhances its speed, Ghostery is the one for you. With its clever blocking, it is bound to enhance the performance of a webpage.
It also blocks the trackers so no hackers can track your web activities.
Some of Ghostery’s essential features are:
- It blocks all ads and pop-ups that clutter a webpage.
- It prevents third-party apps from tracking your activities.
- It helps in the fast and efficient loading of web pages.
- You also have the option to customize its settings according to your choice.
However, it may fail to block all the ads at once, leading to problems later. It can also cause the slow loading of some web pages.
This is one of the unique add-ons that Firefox offers. Private Bookmarks help protect your bookmarks with a password-encrypted vault.
The bookmarks can be easily transferred by using the Private Bookmarks add-on.
Several of Private Bookmark’s notable features are:
- It offers a password-protected folder for your bookmarks.
- You can add, delete, or edit your bookmarks.
- If a new change is made, it is automatically encrypted.
- The bookmarks can be easily imported and exported to other devices.
It has its set of demerits as well. By default, this add-on only works in private mode. Moreover, it is not an online service; you are in sole control of everything.
Are you someone who uses different accounts for personal and professional use? Worry not! Multi-Account Containers add-on will ease all your troubles.
This add-on will organize your online life by segregating your accounts.
To name a few of the Multi-account container’s unique features:
- It will separate your accounts according to your needs.
- You can use the same website with two different accounts.
- It does not collect any of your information.
- It will prevent you from leaving data about your social network everywhere.
It may be messy sometimes and difficult to understand. The user interface is not so easy to understand and may require time from the user.
Blur is your one-stop solution to all your privacy and security-related problems. It prevents trackers, manages your password, and masks your online identity.
Blur will protect all your data and information from people always looking for a chance to hack into it.
Several of Blur’s prime features are:
- It masks your email addresses, credit card details, and other information.
- It helps you in creating strong passwords and stores them as well.
- It blocks the tracking of your information.
- It prevents Facebook from intruding into your privacy.
Although it has many features, it is limited to the free version. Most of its features are only available in the premium version of the add-on.
Are you always concerned about Facebook tracking your web activities? Facebook Container will solve that completely.
This add-on separates your Facebook data into a separate container, making it difficult for third-party websites to track your actions.
Some of Facebook Containers’ remarkable features are:
- Facebook will load in a different blue-colored tab.
- It will be challenging to track your online activities due to a separate tab.
- It will protect you against data theft.
- It will enhance your privacy.
However, it will not function outside the container tab, limiting its access. Therefore, all other websites that require Facebook login will not function well.
NoScript Security Suite
NoScript Security Suite has been recognized and awarded tremendously for contributing to the intelligent world. It is ranked as the best security add-on for a computer.
It allows the reception of data and runs from websites you trust.
A few of NoScript Security Suite’s outstanding features are:
- It provides excellent protection on the web.
- It prevents breaches of security-related activity.
- It comes with advanced ClearClick technology.
However, it may repeatedly ask you to refresh or reload NoScript time and again. This may pose a distraction to your work. The add-on may also ask you for too many updates every time.
Cookies can be a significant concern for privacy-focused users. With the Cookie Manager, you can customize the cookies per your preferences.
By using this add-on, you can view, delete, or even search for specific cookies.
Cookie Manager is packed with many essential features. Some of them are:
- You can view all the cookies at once.
- You can add, edit, or delete cookies.
- It also recognizes cookie jars.
- You can remove an individual or a group of cookies.
- You also have the option to import or export cookies.
However, it may sometimes fail to recognize all the cookies and may take longer. This may hamper your work performance.
Bottom Line: Firefox Privacy Add-ons
We always look for privacy, safety, and security in our everyday lives. Be it offline or online. It has become a basic need for everyone these days. With so many cybercrimes being reported daily, we must know who has access to our privacy. The more we take care of our information online, the safer we are.
Firefox add-ons for privacy and security are the first step that ensures your safety online. Firefox has done a tremendous job in providing users with numerous options to choose from in terms of add-ons.
We have made a detailed list of the pros and cons of all the add-ons we have included so that you can make an appropriate choice.
I have been using the privacy and security add-ons for quite some time now, and I must say that I’m highly impressed. It has reduced my stress about cyber theft by ten times. My favorite add-on must be Ghostery since it prevents ads and bans all the trackers.
Which is your favorite add-on for privacy and security in Firefox? Do you use any other browser add-on for private browsing?