The Tab Groups feature allows you to create the group of tabs that are open to improve your user experience and accessibility. However, due to any reason if there are issue with tab groups, you can update the browser to latest version, update the Android system WebView, relaunch the Chrome browser, or use the alternative browser if required.
In this guide, I have shared a few tips to fix the issue of the group tabs feature not working on Chrome Android. While browsing the web, you open multiple tabs for several websites. It can quickly get disorganized and confusing to switch between browser tabs. This is where the group tabs feature of Chrome comes in handy.
The Tab Group feature for Chrome Android may not work if your device runs an older Chrome app version. Sometimes, minor bugs occurring randomly on Chrome may cause the tab groups feature to malfunction.
Glitches on the Android operating system version may interfere with the features of the apps installed on it. For that reason, the Group tabs feature may not be working.
On this page, you can find and jump to:
How to Use Group Tabs on Chrome?
If you do not know how Group tabs work on Chrome Android, follow the steps below.
- Launch Google Chrome and open a couple of websites in separate browser tabs.
- Tap the Tabs icon at the top to see the number of active browser tabs.
- To group the tabs, long press on one browser tab and drag it on another tab.
Install the Latest Version of Chrome
Start by updating the Chrome app to its latest version.
- Launch the Play Store app and tap the Gmail Account Avatar at the top.
- From the menu, tap on Manage Apps & Device > Updates Available option.
- If the Chrome app has a new update, install it by tapping the button.
Launch Chrome after updating and see if the group tabs feature is working.
Enable Group Tabs Using Chrome Flags
Even after upgrading Chrome to its latest version, if you cannot use the Group tabs feature, you can enable it using Chrome flags. All the experimental features are available under Chrome Flags.
Follow the steps below to enable Group tabs.
- Launch the Chrome browser app on your Android device.
- Type chrome://flags in the URL bar.
- Type Tab Groups in the search field.
- In the search result highlighted with yellow, set the status as Enabled from the drop-down.
Force Close and Restart Chrome
Minor glitches on the Chrome app can hinder its features from functioning. To fix that, force close the app and relaunch it.
- Swipe up on the screen to access the Recent Apps.
- Navigate horizontally to the Chrome app card.
- Long press the Chrome app card and swipe it up to close it.
- Access the App drawer and tap the Chrome app icon to launch it again.
Open a couple of browser tabs and group them using the Group tabs feature.
Install Android System Update
Do not let the bugs on the current system build of Android OS mess with the features of the Chrome app. To upgrade your Android device to a new version.
- Launch the Settings app.
- Tap on the System > System Updates option.
Let the device search for an available software update. If the device finds a new update, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the download and installation.
Launch the Chrome app once the Android device reboots after the software update installation. Check if you can group the tabs in Chrome.
Use Another Browser that Offers Similar Feature
Are you unable to use the Group tabs feature on Android after repeated efforts to troubleshoot? Then, switch to other browser apps that offer tab grouping features. Brave browser has the Group tabs feature to cluster multiple tabs under one tab.
- Download and install Brave browser for Android from the Play Store.
- Launch the Brave browser.
- Start by opening separate browser tabs for various websites.
- Tap the Tabs icon at the bottom.
- Long press on a tab and drag it over another tab to group them.
Organize Your Browsing with Tab Groups
The tab groups feature makes your browsing session more productive and convenient. So, it would be best if you used it. I hope these troubleshooting tips will fix the Chrome for Android group tabs feature not working.
Lastly, if you've any thoughts or feedback, then feel free to drop in below comment box. You can also report the outdated information.