Many users prefer to stream their favorite content on their laptops rather than on their smartphones. The more immersive viewing experience coupled with the ability to watch videos in 4K makes the choice for PC even more obvious.
Following this tradition, recently I opened Chrome and was about to play a popular TV series online. However, I noticed that there was one major issue bugging the entire experience — the browser wasn’t able to play the audio.
Just to be double sure, I tried a slew of other apps, and they were able to play the audio without any fuss. So all this made one thing clear- the issue was with the Chrome browser itself.
Furthermore, it turned out quite a few concerning users are facing this issue. With that said, fortunately there do exist a few workarounds that should help you fix the Google Chrome having no sound or audio issues. So without further ado, let’s check them out.
Reverify Various Chrome Audio Settings
In this section, we will be verifying three important Chrome audio settings. These involve checking the tab’s mute option, verifying that Chrome is allowed to play audio across websites, and checking the browser’s Sound Mixer settings.
Here are the steps to check if the site is Unmute in chrome:
- Launch the Chrome browser and right-click on the tab that isn’t playing audio.
- If you get the Unmute option, then it means that you have muted the tab.
- Click on the Unmute site and bring back the audio.
However, if that is not the case, then check the Chrome Sound Settings page.
- Click on for menu list and select the Settings option.
- Then navigate to Privacy and Security and select Site Settings.
- Click on Additional Site Settings and choose Sound.
- Now make sure that Allow sites to play sound toggle is turned on.
- Likewise, verify that the site isn’t blacklisted under the Mute section.
If that’s all well and good, you need to check the sound settings within the operating system. macOS does not have the custom sound option for the selected apps.
Here are the quick steps for Windows OS sound settings:
- Move over to the Taskbar and click on the upward arrow to open the Windows tray.
- Right-click on the Sound icon and select Open Volume Mixer.
- Make sure that the Chrome isn’t muted and is set at an increased sound limit.
All these three methods count as the basic fixes but in most instances, they are known to rectify the Chrome audio issues. See if it can spell out success in your case or not.
Check Chrome Output Source (Windows OS)
If there is more than one output device connected to your PC, then it might be the case that Chrome is using the inactive source. To verify that Chrome is using the right audio source, proceed with the following instructions:
- Bring up the Windows Settings page via + shortcut keys.
- Then go to System and select the Sound option.
- Scroll to the Advanced Sound Options and hit on App volume and device preferences.
- Now check the Output source next to Chrome and make sure that it is set to the right one (i.e Default).
- If that is not the case, then select the said option from the drop-down.
- Once done, restart the browser and check if it fixes the Chrome sound and audio issue.
In some instances, you might have a wireless headset connected to your PC and the sound might be routed through it. In such cases, reverting to the default audio source as mentioned above should be able to rectify the issue.
Disconnect Bluetooth Audio Devices
There are chances that your Bluetooth audio devices have taken precedence over the system speaker. Hence, you should disconnect the Bluetooth device. The best way you can do this is to disable the Bluetooth feature within the operating system.
Turn Off Bluetooth on Mac
- Open System Preferences from the Apple icon.
- Select the Bluetooth from the Preferences window.
- Click on the Turn Bluetooth Off command button.
Turn Off Bluetooth in Windows
- Select the Start button from the bottom,
- Choose Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices.
- Select the Bluetooth switch to turn the toggle Off.
This will disconnect all the Bluetooth-connected devices and make sure that no other audio output sources are connected.
Reset Chrome Browser
Resetting the browser will delete the temporary data and disable all the extensions as well. Since most of the browser issues usually stem from either of these two components, hence you could consider resetting the browser to its default settings.
Here are the steps to reset the Chrome browser:
- launch the browser and type in chrome://settings/reset in the Omnibox (address bar).
- This will take you to the Reset page. The manual route for the same involves going to Settings > Advanced > Reset and Clean Up.
- Anyways, once you reach the Reset section, click on Reset settings to their original defaults.
- Finally, click on Reset Settings.
- Once the process stands complete, restart the browser.
When a lot of temporary data gets accumulated over time, or due to a malicious third-party extension, the browser might not function as expected. In that case, resetting it is the best route forward.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to fix the Chrome sound and audio issues. While sound issues on your PC could well be attributed to audio drivers, it doesn’t seem to be the case this time.
The reason was the fact that all the other apps were able to play the sound well and well, the issue was only with this offering from the Silicon Valley tech giants.
With that said, in my case, the issue was attributed to Chrome’s audio source, switching it to the default one rectified the issue. On that note, do let us know in the comments which method worked out for you.
FAQs: Fix Google Chrome No Sound or Audio Output
Now, let us go through the frequently asked questions regarding how to fix Google Chrome no Sound or Audio Output.
What are the major fixes for Google Chrome No Sound or Audio Output?
The major fixes for Google Chrome No Sound or Audio Output are, Reverify Various Chrome Audio Settings, Check Chrome Output Source, Disconnect Bluetooth Audio Devices, or Reset Chrome Browser.
How to Unmute in chrome?
Launch the Chrome browser and right-click on the tab that isn’t playing audio. If you get the Unmute option, then it means that you have muted the tab so click on the Unmute site and bring back the audio.
How to Disconnect Bluetooth Audio Devices in Windows?
Select the Start button from the bottom, and choose Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices. Finally, select the Bluetooth and switch to turn the toggle Off.