So you finally settle down and fire up your browser to gather notes for your project, but you end up seeing Site can’t be reached, Server IP address could not be found an error on the screen instead of the webpage. Yeah, I know the feeling as I used to get those errors all the time.
After some research, I’ve found some solutions to my specific problem. But if you have hit this page then most probably you got with the problem and want to solve it permanently. Hence in this article, I’m about to provide all possible solutions that can be used to resolve the issue with the Server IP address that could not be found.
My friend had the same problem once, but his reason was different. So this error doesn’t happen due to some specific issue but various reasons; it can be hardware to the network. Hence, it’s wise to take all points into consideration in order to rectify the issue.
Please note that there might be an issue at the website server as well, which is not in our control. However, if you are able to access the page in other devices, but not in your device, then it’s a real issue at your end.
Here we are about to breakdown each issue and provide the solution for that. These are the same steps that I have taken to resolve the error message at my end. Let’s get start —
Check for working internet connection
First of your network is out. You cannot access any website. Hence you’ve to make sure that you have a working internet connection. Use different browsers like Microsoft Edge or Mozilla Firefox to check if you can access the web from them. Also, you can use the ping command from cmd (in Windows) or terminal (in Mac or Linux), by
- Open cmd from the Start menu or using the Run command cmd OR, press + and on the dialogue box, type cmd and hit .
- When the command prompt opens, type ping google.com and check for results.
If the result shows statistics instead of an error, this means you have a working connection, and you can proceed with step #3, or you’ve to go through step #2 to fix network issues.
Fix Network issues
Network issues may occur due to poor configuration of network settings and Network drivers. And such network issues can give rise to Site can’t be reached, Server IP address could not be found errors.
Windows Network Diagnostics
First, run the troubleshooter available with Windows to run diagnostics and fix. To do so,
- Right-click on the ethernet or wifi symbol from the taskbar and click on Troubleshoot problems.
- Wait for the troubleshooter to check errors in the background and fix them for you.
The troubleshooter will automatically apply the best network settings and make the changes. It might ask to make some adjustments if things are out of its control (something that needs administrative access).
Update Network Drivers
There could be issues with network drivers that aren’t supporting the network hardware within the computer. The best thing you can do is to update the network drivers.
Reinstall or update drivers for your Network devices following below steps:
- Open Device Manager using the Run command devmgmt.msc in the run dialogue box.
- Right-click on the Network adapter and click Update driver command.
- You can also use drivers provided by the manufacturer from their website—for example, Realtek or Atheros.
This will automatically lookup for driver and hardware changes and repair to rectify the network issues.
Check Proxy Settings
Proxy settings, when configured improperly, will cause errors. Allowing proxy to automatically detect will solve the problem. To check this setting in the Chrome browser:
- Click on at the top-right corner.
- Select the Settings menu.
- On the Settings page, scroll down until you see Advanced, click to open it.
- Now scroll down until you see, Open your computer’s proxy settings.
- Click to launch the Proxy settings within the operating system.
- Set the proxy setting it to Automatically detect settings.
This will automatically choose the best proxy setup and make sure your internet is working without any issues.
Change IP and DNS settings:
IP and DNS are vital for connecting to the internet hence it has to be configured properly. IP will be automatically obtained using the DHCP protocol. So, here we can enable DHCP to configure IP automatically.
In most cases, the options are set to default. However, if you’ve made any changes or any antivirus software has deliberately misconfigured it, then you can just revert back the changes. To do so,
- Right-click on the network icon on the taskbar and click on Network and internet settings. OR
You can also lookup for Network and internet settings in Windows Search.
- From the Status menu, click on Change adapter settings.
- When the control panel is launched, right-click on the network adapter through which you’ve connected to the internet
- Select Properties sub-menu.
- From the properties tab, click on Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- In the properties tab, select on Obtain an IP automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.
- Hit to save the changes and reconnect to check if the problem persists.
Note: If your PC belongs to a private DNS service or you are using proxy-based connections, then you can contact your network admins to get those configuration settings.
Reset IPv4 settings and flush DNS cache:
Resetting the IPv4 settings and flushing the DNS resolver cache is the last steps that can fix all the issues within your computer.
Reset IPv4 settings
If nothing works, you can simply reset every setting to avoid conflicts. Using cmd, we can issue netsh commands to reset IPv4 settings. To do so,
- Launch CMD prompt as administrator, and type netsh winsock reset and hit .
- Now restart your PC.
- Open CMD again and type netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and keypress .
- Again restart your PC and check if you can connect to the internet.
This will completely reset all the IP configurations and changes that we made in our system to default one for automatic resolution.
Flush DNS Cache
You can also flush the Domain Name Server (DNS) information that is cached on your system. Now to flush DNS cache:
- Open cmd as admin and type ipconfig /flushdns
- If everything is running right, you should get this as output — Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
Finally, check if this solves your issue and you are no longer receiving the error — The site can’t be reached; Server IP address could not be found.
Bottom Line: Server IP could not be found
The site cannot be reached; Server IP could not be found is a tragic error many people face on a day to day basis. Such errors can drastically degrade one’s internet experience. Also, you won’t be able to do online transactions if you keep getting such errors.
And if your problem hasn’t been solved yet, then make sure you have paid for your Wi-Fi or cellular connections. Sometimes we don’t realize it, but our internet data is empty. In such cases, you are prone to encounter such error messages.
And once the error is solved, don’t do any online transactions for a period of 2-3 hours. Monitor if everything is working fine, and if yes, you can start doing sensitive tasks such as website logins and online transactions with ease without worrying about any error codes.
Also as mentioned, the Server IP address error could be genuine. The website is actually down and DNS resolver is not able to map a domain name with IP address. In such a case, we have no other option rather than waiting until the admin of the website fixes mapping between the domain address and masked IP address.
Lastly, here are the recommended web browsers for your computer and mobile phone that you should give a try.
|Chrome Windows||Chrome Mac||Chrome iOS||Chrome Android||Firefox Linux|
|Firefox Windows||Safari Mac||Safari iOS||Edge Android||Chrome Linux|
|Edge Windows||Firefox Mac||Edge iOS||Samsung Internet||Edge Linux|
If you've any thoughts on How to Fix: Site can’t be reached, Server IP could not be found?, then feel free to drop in below comment box. If you find this article helpful, please consider sharing it with your network.
Also, please subscribe to our BrowserHow YouTube channel for helpful videos tutorials.