The Brave browser automatically updates when a new build or version is available. However, when the configuration is incorrectly set, the browser doesn’t update. You can check for network stability, reinstall the browser, check the correct version and channel of Brave software is installed on your computer. Always download the Brave browser from Stable Channel.
Brave browser is one of the most preferred browsing solutions in recent times for the scope of user privacy it offers. You can prevent websites from tracking you when browsing the Brave browser.
Brave browser regularly pushes version updates for the platform to make it perform efficiently without any bugs. Usually, the browser update installs automatically on the Windows PC. Some users have reported that the Brave browser doesn’t upgrade to a new build, and they cannot enjoy the new features of the latest version of the web browser.
I have shared a few tips to troubleshoot the issue in this guide that can help you automatically update the browser on your computer.
On this page, you can find and jump to:
Why Brave is Not Updating Automatically
It has been observed that users who have installed the Brave installer meant for 64-bit or 86-bit architecture from GitHub have been facing the problem of updating the Brave browser automatically on Windows PCs.
Brave states that the 64-bit and 86-bit installer of the Brave browser available on GitHub was not intended for direct installation.
To smoothly install browser updates, the users must install BraveBrowserSetup.exe or BraveBrowserSetup32.exe. Only with these channels the installed browser app will be automatically updated to newer builds as and when they are released officially.
Apart from that, there could be a common problem like bad internet connectivity. If you have an unstable network, you cannot install browser updates. Due to slow network speed, the update process often seems never-ending and gets stuck.
Implement these troubleshooting tips to fix the browser update snags on your Windows computer.
Force Close Brave Browser
The Brave browser updater may be stuck due to some bug on the application. You can force close the Brave browser and relaunch it for the browser app to complete the update installation process.
- Press + + to launch the Task Manager.
- Under the Apps tab, go to Brave browser, right-click, and select End Task from the menu.
- Press + to initiate a Windows Search.
- Type Brave and click Open when the relevant app appears in the search results.
- Click the Menu bar > About Brave and check if the Brave browser has updated to the latest version.
Restart the Computer
It could be a minor random glitch on your Windows computer causing the update process of some applications, such as Brave browser, to fail. Restart the PC and then retry updating the Brave browser.
- Press the key on the PC keyboard.
- In the Start window, click the Power icon at the bottom right corner.
- From the context menu, select the Restart command and wait for the PC to reboot.
- Launch Brave Browser and let the update complete automatically.
Check Your Internet Connection
You must check that the internet connection is working efficiently. If you face frequent disconnection or slower network speed, restart the WiFi router.
To ensure that your broadband cable has no problem, you can take the help of your ISP tech support. Have the ISP tech folks come to your place to inspect any issue with cabling causing persistent network issues.
Alternatively, connect your PC to a stable WiFi network and browse the internet. If it was an unstable network causing the Brave browser update to fail, it should be fixed now with stable internet connectivity.
Uninstall and Reinstall Brave Browser
One of the best solutions to fix the software update issues with the current version of Brave browser is to uninstall it from your computer. Then install the latest build of Brave browser on your PC.
- Press + to open the run box.
- Type appwiz.cpl and press key.
It will open the Control Panel on your PC.
- Scroll to Brave Browser, right-click on it, and select the Uninstall command.
- Completely uninstall Brave and all its components.
- Now, download the latest version of Brave browser from the official website.
If required, you can read how to download and install the Brave a computer in our detailed guide.
Verify the Installed Channel of Brave Browser
Here are a few steps to ensure you have installed the correct channel of Brave software that will no longer cause issues with automatically installing new updates released for the browsing app.
- Press + to launch the Run box.
- Type regedit and press key.
- Copy and paste the following path into the address bar of the Registry app.
- Check that on the right-hand side, the file name “ap” is set to data x64-rel or x86-rel.
If you are using Brave Beta / Brave Nightly / Brave Dev, the “ap” value will be x64-be / x64-ni / x64-dev, respectively.
Upgrade your Brave Browser
I hope you found this article informative and that it will help you fix the issues with Brave browser not updating automatically on your Windows computer. By upgrading to the latest version of Brave, you can enjoy an error-free browsing experience.
Lastly, if you've any thoughts or feedback, then feel free to drop in below comment box. You can also report the outdated information.