I think most of us heard about the software name TeamViewer that helped in remote access from a computer or phone to access files and applications on another computer over the Internet. However, did you know that you can use a chrome browser for the same? If you didn’t know, now you know.
The app is known as Chrome Remote Desktop. This app allows you can give others remote access to your computer. Once access has been granted, they can access your apps, files, and documents, among others. All you need is to install and set up the Chrome Remote Desktop app on the computer.
This application was created for service and IT support; however, you can use it on any device to gain access to other computers. It helps screen sharing and grants control to your machine over the internet.
You can use this app even for sharing the screen and watching movies with your partner.
In this article, I will take you through how to set up and use the Chrome Remote Desktop app available on the web or as an app to use on your mobile device. Let’s dive into it —
Setting up Remote Access
To use the Chrome Remote Desktop app, you must set it up on your computer. The setup will prompt you to download and install the app on your computer for you to use it.
- On your desktop or laptop, open the Chrome browser.
- Type remotedesktop.google.com/access in the address bar.
- Go to Set up Remote Access, and click the Download icon button.
- Follow the on-screen directions to download and install Chrome Remote Desktop.
Depending on your local machine, Mac or Windows will download and install the setup file. Grant all the requested permissions, including taking over other apps and programs installed on the computer.
Share your Computer
Both parties have to download and install the Chrome remote desktop whether you are sharing remote access or giving support remotely, download and install the software program on your machine.
Once setup is done, it is now time to share your computer with another computer. You will have to generate a code that the other computer will use as a PIN.
- Open the Chrome browser on your computer.
- Go to remotedesktop.google.com/support.
If you haven’t set up the Chrome remote desktop app, do so in the previous steps.
- Under the Get Support section, choose .
- Copy the generated code and send it to the person you want to have access to your computer.
- When that person enters your access code on the site, you will see a dialog with their e-mail address. Select Share to allow them full access to your computer.
This will grant screen sharing to the support person. They can also request to take control of the mouse and keyboard. If it’s needed, allow the requested permission.
The access code will only work once and cannot be used simultaneously on multiple devices. If you are sharing your computer, you will be asked to confirm that you want to continue to share your computer every 30 minutes.
To end a sharing session, click, and the sessions will be terminated immediately. Even the access code will no longer be valid.
If you need to share the screen and grant control, generate a new code and share it with the person again.
Access a Computer Remotely
Using the Chrome Remote Desktop app, you can access another computer remotely via your computer. This way, you can carry out tasks on another computer without physically being there.
Access can be using a laptop/desktop or using a phone. However, the mobile phone app only allows access and does not support sharing.
Access using a Laptop/Desktop
One can easily access other computer machines using the Chrome remote desktop app. All you need is the PIN code from the person sharing their computer screen.
- Open the Chrome app on the computer.
- Go to remotedesktop.google.com/access.
- Click Access to select which computer you want.
- Enter the PIN required to access another computer.
- Hit on the
This will immediately raise a pop-up on the host machine sharing the screen to allow permission. Once access is granted, you can view the shared screen.
Using a Mobile Phone
You can also access another computer remotely on your Android or iOS phone. Note that if you already have the app installed on your mobile device, you must check to ensure it is updated to the latest version.
- Open your app store and download the Chrome Remote Desktop app.
- Open the app and tap the computer you want to access from the list.
- Enter the PIN, and you are good to go.
This will grant you permission to view and control the computer from a mobile device.
When using the Chrome remote desktop app on the phone, the following gestures will be of help:
- Scroll up or down: Swipe with two fingers.
- Click and drag: Drag with a finger.
- Zoom: Pinch and stretch with two fingers.
- Show keyboard: Swipe up with three fingers.
- Show the toolbar app: Swipe down with three fingers.
- Move the mouse: Swipe anywhere on the screen (only in Trackpad mode).
- Left-click: Tap the screen.
- Right-click: Tap the screen with two fingers (only in Trackpad mode).
- Middle-click: Tap the screen with three fingers (only in Trackpad mode).
Stop Remote Desktop Session
Once you finish your remote session, it is advisable to stop it. Otherwise, the other computer can access some of your files and data without your consent at any other time. Stopping a remote session is easy –
- On your Chrome desktop app, switch to the Remote Access tab.
- Click the trash icon next to the computer.
This will remove and disable remote connections without your permission.
You can help a person fix an issue on their computer or guide someone through specific steps on their computer. You can also share the screen with another computer and catch a movie or series like Tele Party.
This program allows you to grant remote access to your computer to others. They will have full access to your apps, files, and documents once access has been given. All you have to do now is download and install the Chrome Remote Desktop program on your PC.
You may use this app well by sharing the screen with your partner and viewing movies together.
This application was designed primarily for service and IT support, although it may be used on any device to obtain access to other computers. It allows you to share your screen and operate your machine online.
What are some of the ways you can use the Chrome desktop app? Share with us in the comments section below.
Lastly, if you've any thoughts or feedback on How to Setup and Use Chrome Remote Desktop on Any Device, then feel free to drop in below comment box. You can also report the outdated information.