With recent Android versions, Google added a new system app named Android System Webview. This is a lite browser engine attached to Google Chrome, which means it is an essential part of it. This app lets third-party apps display web content without leaving the app completely.
In simple words, when you open any link on a third-party app like Instagram, Facebook, etc, then the link will not open in the Chrome browser, but it will open within the app itself. This is because of the Android System Webview. Of course, you can open the links in Chrome from there, but that is another thing.
Recently, when I got a notification update, I tried updating my Chrome browser, and I failed. After several tries, I came to know that not only chrome but the Android System Webview is also not updating. Updating these apps is very important as they get new security features with every update.
I also received a few complaints from my friends regarding the same issue, so I look into the matter and found out a few solutions.
Here I am going to provide these solutions for you guys regarding chrome and android webview not getting updated.
Fix: Chrome and Webview not updating
First, we are going to try a few basic solutions as it doesn’t need to be happening because of big issues. If the basic solutions don’t fix the problem, then try the other solutions as mentioned below:
Reboot your device
Sometimes a simple reboot fixes the problem as rebooting the device restarts all of its system processes. This way, if some Android process is causing the error, it will be fixed automatically.
Check your internet connection
You need good data speed to update any all from the PlayStore. If you have a good internet connection and still face the issue, then use any third party app to check if any other app is using the data in the background.
Close all other apps that use a data connection and then retry the download, and this should fix the issue.
Stop auto-updating all apps
If you have enabled the update all apps automatically option, then this may cause the download issue. To stop this, you need to stop all the apps from updating together, and you have to update them manually.
Here are the steps to stop auto-updating all android apps:
- Open your Google PlayStore on your Android phone.
- Click on the 3 line icon on the top left corner.
This will bring out a side menu.
- Tap on the My Apps and games option on the side menu.
This will show you all the apps that are updating.
- After that, tap on the button to stop updating.
- And after that, update just chrome and android system webview to fix the download issue.
These were basic solutions, and most of the time, it fixes the issue, and if they didn’t, then try the below-mentioned methods.
Uninstall Android System Webview and Chrome
There are high chances that the Android System Webview is the main problem, and because of it, Chrome is not updating. To solve this, first of all, uninstall the Android System Webview app.
This is a system app, so you cannot uninstall it completely, but you can go back to the factory version. This means you can uninstall all the previous updates. You cannot uninstall it directly from settings as in most of the devices, and there is no such option.
Here are the steps to uninstall Android System Webview from the phone:
- Open the Google play store app.
- In the search bar and search for the Android System Webview app.
- Tap on the option and proceed.
- The Android System Webview updates will be uninstalled.
That’s all. Now retry the updated google chrome browser to check if the problem is fixed or not. If no, then repeat the same process with the Chrome app as well and try again.
Clear cache, storage, and force stop the app
If an app is running in the background, then it is possible that it won’t update. You can force stop any app from stopping such a background process. After that, if the app has a lot of cache memory, which might prevent it from updating. In such scenarios, you need to clear cache and storage as well.
Here are the steps to force stop the app on android OS phone:
- Open your Settings app on Android Phone.
- After that, scroll down, look for the Apps and Notifications tab, and tap on it.
- On the next window, you will see an option named see all apps, tap on it to open a list of all installed apps.
- Tap the on the upper right corner to open a menu.
- Select the ‘Show system’ option to see all the available apps.
- Tap to open the Android System Webview app from the list of apps.
- Tap on that to Force stop the app.
Now try updating the app, and if the issue persists, then you need to clear the cache and data.
Here are steps to clear the cache and data of Android Webview:
- Repeat the above steps till #6,
- Click on the Storage option on the app information window.
This will open a new window that has both the clear cache and clear data option.
- Tap on those options to and
- Lastly, try to update the android webview app from Google PlayStore.
If this doesn’t work, then repeat the same process with the Chrome app and Google Playstore app as well.
Leave the beta testing program
The google play store has a feature called beta testing. This gives its users early access to any new update before it goes public. This service is for testing the new updates, and there are high chances that the beta updates have bugs.
If you are also a part of beta testing or you opted for it by mistake, then you might be using a beta update app. Now, this might be the reason behind the downloading issue. You can fix it by leaving the beta testing program.
Here are the steps to leave the beta testing for the app:
- Open the Google PlayStore app.
- Search for the Android system Webview app.
- Scroll down until you see the option as shown in the below image.
- Tap on that option to the beta program.
Lastly, after leaving the beta testing program to uninstall the updates just like we did in the third method. This will solve your issue.
Download the updates manually
If you have tried all the methods and none of them worked for you, then this is a solution that will work. You can download and install the latest update of Android System Webview and Chrome from third-party APK sites and install it manually.
Here are the steps to manually download the android app updates from a third-party site:
- Search for Android System Webview on APKmirror.com (direct download link below)
- Scroll down until you see a list of all versions.
- Click on the download icon on the right side.
- Scroll down until you see all the downloadable app variants.
Choose any variant according to your device.
- Click on the Variant number to proceed.
You can use google search to know about a variant that is compatible with your device.
- Click on the button to begin to download the APK.
If you see a download Waring them, allow it by clickingas it is not a threat to your device. Lastly, install the APK file by tapping on it, and your work is done.
Bottom Line: Chrome and Webview Not Updating
To sum up, I have given all the possible solutions for Chrome and Android System Webview is not getting updated issues. These might take some time, but it will surely fix your issue.
It is a bit tricky to update the system apps, so you need to be patient. Also, only use trusted APK sites to download the APK file.
If you are using the last method, you should be cautious as there are a few fake sites that can harm your device. APK files from such fake sites may contain malware, so be aware of it.
Once you’re able to update the google chrome app then the android system webview will also be updated.
Lastly, here are the recommended web browsers for your computer and mobile phone that you should give a try.
|Chrome Windows||Chrome Mac||Chrome iOS||Chrome Android||Firefox Linux|
|Firefox Windows||Safari Mac||Safari iOS||Edge Android||Chrome Linux|
|Edge Windows||Firefox Mac||Edge iOS||Samsung Internet||Edge Linux|
If you've any thoughts on Fix: Chrome and Android System Webview is not getting updated, then feel free to drop in below comment box. Also, please subscribe to our BrowserHow YouTube channel for videos tutorials. Cheers!