Immersive Reader Mode is the best feature of Microsoft Edge Browser if you want to continue distraction-free reading. To enable the immersive reader mode, you can either hit on the immersive mode icon in the URL bar or hit the F9 key as a direct shortcut from the keyboard. You can also customize the way the reader mode looks.
Most popular web browsers support the reader mode or reader’s view as a built-in feature. But Microsoft has taken the Reader Mode, aka Immersive Reader, to the next level in their Edge browser.
The main objective of the reader mode is to eliminate all the unwanted elements and ads to provide a clear and straightforward reading output, just like Amazon Kindle or any e-reader software app.
The Edge immersive reader is a next-level game that has added all the reader-assisted features. It has also added the Read Aloud feature, which is text-to-speech technology. It also has a line focus and grammar tool for avid readers and writers.
One can easily activate the Edge immersive reading from the URL bar. However, it’s not available for every site. The immersive reading is only available for text-heavy web pages like news articles, blog posts, wiki pages, etc.
Enable Immersive Reader Mode
We all desire the best reading experience. For best results, we want our reading page to be ad-free. It is now possible with the Edge immersive reader. Here are the steps to enable immersive reader mode:
- Launch the Microsoft Edge browser on a computer.
- Open a web page* on the browser.
- Click on the Immersive Reader icon in the URL OR hit the keyboard shortcut.
- Select the appropriate settings to view readers’ mode and settings.
That’s it. The output text will appear in a simplified reader view based on your reader mode settings. We can customize text size, spacing, and page themes (color and background). The edge immersive reader mode is outstanding compared to any other computer browser.
[* The Edge immersive reader mode won’t appear on every page. It works only on text-heavy sites, like blogs, news, and wiki pages.]
Besides (immersive) reading mode, Microsoft Edge offers Read aloud, Grammar tools, and Reading preferences. You can also pin and unpin the reader view toolbar while reading.
Talking more about the immersive reader toolbar —
- Read aloud: Helps convert the text to speech for reading out page content loud and clear. We can choose the output audio and speed under voice options.
- Text preference: Helps customize the output of the reader view per our needs. As mentioned, it helps alter the text and color for better readability.
- Grammar tools: This is something cool that I haven’t found in any other browser. It breaks down and highlights the sentences grammatically in parts of speech.
- Reading preference: It helps in assisting the readability of a text, like highlighting (line focus), picture dictionary, and text translation.
The Microsoft Edge Immersive Reader or Reading Mode feature is quite stunning compared to the other best browser. It has features like Reading preference, Grammar tools that assist the reading experience within the Readers’ mode.
The Edge offers the Read Aloud feature that’s very similar to text-to-speech. It automatically starts reading out aloud the content for free. We also have the option to control read-aloud and voice output settings.
What do you think after using the immersive reader mode in the Edge computer browser? Are you addicted to it?
Lastly, if you've any thoughts or feedback, then feel free to drop in below comment box. You can also report the outdated information.