Search Marquis is one kind of browser hijacker that automatically redirects Mac users to their search engines and sets it as their default search engine without the user’s permission. You must remove search marquis from the Safari browser because it may also open a door for other threats on your Mac device.
Search Marquis is a program that usually looks like a helpful add-on or extension for popular browsers like Safari and Chrome. But instead of helping you to improve your browsing experience, it deteriorates the healthy experience causing us irritation while browsing the internet.
When search marquis gets installed in your Safari, it changes some settings without permission, such as search engines on our start page, adding new tools to your browser, and other fake buttons.
Additionally, it starts displaying frustrating ads on the whole screen in pop-up ads, banners, boxes, and other promotional materials that stick on a screen.
Force Quit the Safari
If your Safari browser is already running, the first thing you need to do is quit it. If you have trouble closing it usually, you must force quit the browser. Here is the how to force close:
- Click on the Apple logo for options.
- From the options list, click on Force Quit… (another way is to press the
+ + key).
- Force Quit Applications window will pop up.
- Then select the Safari app within the window.
- Hit on button and close the window.
This will close the Safari browser from the background and terminate all running process threads. You should use this option only when Safari cannot close by Close action.
Find and Delete Malicious Files
Start Activity Monitor by launching Finder and going to Application > Utilities > Activity Monitor.
Once you are there, start analyzing all the processes; if you think any process can be part of hijacking, highlight that process and click on the(information) button at the top to open the following box.
In the case of Google Chrome, you can find the process information in this format.
Now click on thecommand button at the bottom to open the Sample Text of the application.
Do this for all processes you think are part of hijacking and quit the malicious files process from the activity monitor.
Check Browser and Prevent Hacking
Now that we have cleared the hijacked processes, we will check if everything works.
- Press the
Pressing the shift key will prevent the previously opened pages from relaunching in Safari. key while relaunching Safari.
- You can release the shift key once Safari is safely launched.
If you still face trouble closing unwanted pages in Safari, you must take additional steps.
- Force quit Safari again.
- Turn off the WiFi connection from Mac’s menu.
- If you are using an ethernet connection, disconnect the ethernet cable.
This will kill the connection between the hacker and your Safari browser.
Delete Marquis Search Extensions
There is a high chance that a browser extension might be causing the issue of injecting malicious sites. In that case, you should quickly identify and delete the extensions from the Safari browser. Here are the steps to remove the extension:
- Launch the Safari browser on Mac while holding the shift key.
- After the successful launch of the Safari browser
- Click on Preferences from the Safari menu. This will open a new Preferences window.
- Switch to the Extensions tab.
- Within the Extensions tab, select the extension you think might be malicious.
- Click on the button.
This will remove the extension from the Safari browser and also delete all malicious activity. However, If you are unsure which extension to remove and don’t want to take any risk, you can uninstall all extensions.
Also, if you do not plan to use any extension, then make sure to turn OFF the option. Third-party developers create extensions to customize and enhance your web experience, as shown in the above screenshot.
Clean up Browser Settings and Data
The search marquis may have infected Safari and all other browsers on your Mac computer. The instructions below must be applied to all browsers you use on your Mac.
Since we are talking mainly about the Safari browser, the steps below will be applied to Apple Safari. However, similar options will also be available for other browsers installed on your computer.
Clear Website Data
The first thing that we need to do is to delete all browsing data from our Safari browser so that any traces aren’t left in the browser. Clearing the website data will delete all the storage, cookies, and cache from the browser.
- Open the Preferences option from the Safari menu.
- Switch to click on the Privacy tab.
- Open the Manage Website Data… option.
- Now click on Remove All Website Data and confirm it by clicking on
Default Homepage Set up
Next, we will ensure the default Homepage is set correctly on the Safari browser. We just wanted to ensure that the Marquis search isn’t the homepage of the browser.
- Hit on the General tab in the preferences menu.
- Check if your Homepage field is the same as you have entered.
- If something else, change it to whatever you want to see first when you open Safari – preferably a search engine like Google.
Clear Browsing History
Lastly, we will delete all the browsing history so you won’t accidentally open a problematic web page again.
- Within the Safari app, go to the History from the menubar.
- Click on the Clear History menu at the bottom.
- Choose the Time range from the drop-down.
- Hit the
This will delete the browsing history from the Safari browser. Select the most extended date range from the drop-down, probably before the Marquis takeover.
Thus, this was all about how to remove Search Marquis from Safari Mac. If you use other browsers, don’t forget to delete it from there too.
There was no need for antivirus products on Mac devices for a long time. Still, with the growing popularity, Mac devices are also being attacked by malware, trojans, and viruses. Hence, I advise installing antivirus software, updating things, and taking daily backups.
Similarly, Safari can get the Yahoo and Bing redirect issues from spam script injection.
However, please share with us how you could fix and remove the Marquis search injection from your browser on Macbook.
Lastly, if you've any thoughts or feedback on How to Remove Search Marquis from Safari Mac, then feel free to drop in below comment box. You can also report the outdated information.