The Google Chrome browser has the lion’s share of possession in the web browser domain. And the reason for the same is hardly a secret either.
A plethora of nifty features, a handy sync functionality, and deep integration into the Google ecosystem make it the go-to choice for many users.
However, despite all the goodies it has to offer, it isn’t free from its fair share of issues. From the browser not functioning along the expected lines to issues with its feature set, there could be quite a few errors that might occasionally bug this browser.
In this regard, simple workarounds in-app restart or data and cache deletion are usually enough to rectify the underlying issues. However, in some instances, you might have to take the nuclear approach of uninstalling the browser from your device and then reinstalling its latest build.
And in this guide, we will help you with instructions steps to reinstall Google Chrome across Windows PC, Android, iOS/iPadOS, and Mac computers.
Reinstall Chrome on Windows
The Windows PC comes preinstalled with Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge browser. However, we can manually install Google Chrome alongside the existing browsers. If the chrome browser is miss behaving, then we can remove and reinstall Chrome on Windows PC.
Here are the steps to reinstall Google Chrome on Windows OS:
- Open Windows Settings window ( + ).
- Select Apps from the left bar and go to Apps & Features.
- Scroll to the Google Chrome app and click on the More option.
- Select Uninstall and confirm dialog box to uninstall Chrome from Windows.
- Next, Download and Install Chrome on Windows PC.
That’s it. These were the steps to reinstall the Google Chrome browser on your Windows PC. If you are still facing the issues, delete complete chrome data from the Windows system and reinstall the new browser again.
Reinstall Chrome on Android
Chrome comes bundled in with the Android OS and is treated as a system app. Hence you cannot uninstall it from your device. At the very most, you could disable it or uninstall all the updates from that app.
So what’s the difference between the two? Disabling Chrome will stop all its features, and none of the other third-party apps will be able to interact with it. While Chrome would still be present in your device, uninstalling updates would strip off all its functionalities.
On the other hand, uninstalling updates will revert the app’s settings and configuration to its factory default state. And since you are planning to reinstall the browser, this is the more appropriate option of the two. So with that in mind, let’s get started.
Here are the steps to reinstall Google Chrome on Android devices:
- Open Android Settings app/screen.
- Select Apps and Notifications followed by See All Apps option.
- Search and select Chrome app from the app listing page.
- Tap on the More from the top right, and select Uninstall updates option.
- Tap on in the confirmation dialog box.
- Next, open the Google Play app and search for Chrome.
- Tap on the
It will reinstall the Google Chrome browser on your Android device. While it’s not precisely a reinstall, downgrading to its earliest build and installing the latest version is the closest one could get on an Android smartphone.
Reinstall Chrome in iOS/iPadOS
The iOS/iPadOS or Apple devices are preloaded with the Apple Safari browser, and it allows the installation of third-party browsers like Chrome from the official app store. If you face any challenges in the Chrome browser on iOS or iPadOS, you can reinstall the browser.
Here are the steps to reinstall Chrome browser on iPhone or iPad:
- Long-press the Chrome app icon to get the context menu.
- Tap on the Remove App command and hit on Delete App in the confirmation box.
It shall remove Chrome from your iPhone/iPad.
- Open the App Store app on the device and search Google Chrome.
- Open the App details page and Download the Chrome app on iPhone/iPad.
With this, it will reinstall the Google Chrome browser on the iOS/iPadOS platform.
Reinstall Chrome on Mac
Like iOS/iPadOS, the Mac computer is preinstalled and set Safari as the default browser. We can install the Chrome browser from Google’s official site on Mac OS. If we encounter any issues with Chrome, we can reinstall the browser without any issues.
Here are the steps to Reinstall the Chrome browser on a Mac OS computer:
- Launch the Finder and switch to the Applications folder
It shall list out all the installed apps on the Mac.
- Search and select the Chrome app.
- Right-click for the context menu, and hit on the Move to Bin command.
- Empty the Trash Bin from the Dock.
- Next, download and install Chrome for Mac computer.
That’s it; it will reinstall the Chrome browser on your Mac. Emptying the trash bin makes sure that no residues are lying in the computer.
Bottom Line: Reinstall Google Chrome
So with this, we round off the guide on how you could reinstall the Google Chrome browser on Windows, Android, iOS, and Mac devices.
It’s recommended to go for the reinstall approach only after exhausting all your other workarounds or troubleshoots.
Moreover, before opting for it, ensure that you have synced all the browser data with your Google account. It is because uninstalling the browser will remove all the app’s data as well. Hence, the next time you install it, you will quickly get them back by just signing in via Google ID.
On that note, we round off this guide on how to reinstall Chrome on any supporting devices. If you have any queries with the steps mentioned above concerning any of the four platforms, then do let us know.