Google Chrome is one of the most popular web browsers worldwide, with a significant user base (~65%) compared to other browsers. It is renowned for its speed, simplicity, and integration with Google accounts.
It has built-in extension support with an extensive extension library contributed by developers worldwide. There are a few popular and useful extensions that you can get started to boost your productivity.
Chrome releases the latest updates in different channels like Stable, Extended Stable, Beta, Dev, and Canary. However, for general usage and data safety, sticking with the Stable channel is always recommended.
This guide will walk you through downloading Chrome and updating it to the latest version on different platforms and device types.
Download and Update Chrome on Computer
Chrome provides a seamless browsing experience on computer devices running on different OS. It’s fully compatible with all the popular operating systems on the computer, including Windows OS, macOS, and most Linux-based OSes. You can download the Chrome from the official site. However, the software updates are done within the browser’s interface.
To download Chrome on Computer
- Open the system’s default web browser on your computer.
- Visit the official Google Chrome website download page.
- Click the
The site will automatically detect your operating system to download compatible installer files.
- Open and run the installer file from the Downloads folder in your system.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the latest Chrome browser.
After installation, the browser will automatically launch and ask you for initial setup, like Sign-in with a Google account, replacing the default browser app on the system, etc. You can configure or skip per need.
To update Chrome on Computer
- Open Google Chrome on your computer.
- Click on the More menu at the top-right corner and navigate to Help > About Google Chrome menu.
- If an update is available, it will start updating automatically. Once done, you may need to
It will successfully update the Chrome browser to the latest version, and you can enjoy the new features and security updates. You can check the Chrome version and build number on the same page.
Download and Update Chrome on Android
Google Chrome is also available for Android devices and has been actively developed with new features. The system app comes pre-installed on Android phones, and we cannot uninstall the Chrome app but disable it.
You can download the Google Play Store app if you do not have a Google Chrome app pre-installed on your Android phone. The Play Store is also used for getting the latest browser updates.
To download Chrome on Android
- Open Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Search for Google Chrome in the search bar and select it from the results list.
- Tap the button to download and install the app.
- After installation, tap the
button to launch the Chrome browser.
For the first time, Chrome might ask you to log in Google account, enable sync, and customize a few other settings. You can skip this setup wizard and continue to Chrome’s home page.
To update Chrome on Android
- Open Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Tap the Profile icon from the top right corner, and select the Manage apps & device menu.
- Tap on the See details command under the Updates available menu.
- If Chrome is on the list of apps with available updates, tap on
next to it.
Alternatively, you can search for the Chrome app in Google Play Store, visit the App details page, and tap thecommand to install the latest version.
You can enable auto-updates for the Chrome browser by tapping the More menu on the App details page and ticking the checkbox for the Enable auto-update option.
Henceforth, the app will automatically update to the latest version without a manual update command.
Download and Update Chrome on iPhone or iPad
Google Chrome is widely used and fully compatible to replace the Safari browser on iPhone or iPad. You can download the latest version of the Chrome app from the App Store. The browser receives updates frequently and is available via the same App Store.
You can download and update the Chrome app on your iOS or iPadOS devices.
To download Chrome on iPhone or iPad
- Open App Store on your iPhone or iPad.
- Search for Google Chrome and select the app from the search results.
- Tap the button and authenticate the download request with Face ID or Passcode.
- Finally, hit on the
It will start the download, and you can see the progress.
Once the new Chrome app is installed or updated with the latest version, tap thebutton or launch from the Apps Library.
For the first time, you must go through the setup wizard on launching the Chrome app. However, you can skip the setup and continue to the start page.
To update Chrome on iPhone
- Open App Store on your iPhone.
- Tap on your Profile icon in the top right corner.
- Scroll down to the Available Updates section.
- If an update for Chrome is available, tap on
next to it.
Alternatively, you can search for the Chrome app in the App Store to hit thecommand to install the latest version.
You can enable automatic updates for all apps in your iPhone or iPad Settings app under the App Store section. Just enable the toggle switch for App Updates to install new updates automatically.
It will ensure the Chrome and other apps installed on your device are updated to the latest version without a manual update request.
Google Chrome is the default browser on Android and Chromebook devices. However, it has been a favorite for most (~65%) online users. It easily replaces Microsoft Edge on Windows and is an excellent alternative for Safari on macOS.
The browser is fully compatible and actively maintained across multiple devices and platforms. We can download Google Chrome for free from its official site, and available in the App Store on respective devices.
If you are unhappy or encounter issues after the latest updates, you can easily downgrade Chrome to an older version and wait for the next stable release.
No matter the device you use, keeping Chrome updated is essential to your online safety and efficiency. Always download the app from official sites and sources rather than third-party download sites.
Lastly, if you've any thoughts or feedback on How to Download New Chrome and Update to Latest Version, then feel free to drop in below comment box. You can also report the outdated information.