Errors on browsers are common if you have an unstable internet connection. Still, there are some scenarios where you may get some errors even when you have a perfect internet connection. The same happened to me when I encountered the error STATUS_BREAKPOINT while using the Chrome browser. I panicked and switched to Microsoft Edge to use the internet, but it represented me with the same error.
Error STATUS_BREAKPOINT is a random error that seems to occurs when the user is scrolling the web pages. The error is associated with the website designing or how the browser handles the webpage requests. So the error can be from a faulty web browser installation or a weak internet connection.
Luckily some troubleshooting methods effectively helped me to fix the error STATUS_BREAKPOINT problem. So in this article, I will explain this error and some ways you can try to fix it.
Fixing STATUS_BREAKPOINT on Chrome or Edge
Although the exact reason for this error is not traceable, and it occurs due to many issues. But the official explanation for Microsoft on the Error code is “Hardware defined breakpoint.” Although this might mean nothing to the normal end-users, the developers find something, and they can patch it. So until then, we have to try on our side all possible solutions to fix it.
Update Chrome or Edge Browser
If you’re using an older version of Chrome or Edge browser, then this error might occur. So it would be best if you considered updating your browser to resolve this.
Here are the steps to update the Chrome browser:
- Launch the Google Chrome browser on your computer.
- Hit on for options and select Settings from the list.
- And switch to the About Chrome section on the Settings page.
- Google Chrome should automatically start looking for the latest updates.
- The Chrome will be updated and ask for the relaunch.
The process of updating above is for Chrome, but the steps are similar for Microsoft Edge.
Here are the steps to update the Edge browser:
- Launch the Microsoft Edge on your computer system.
- Hit on for options and select Settings from the list.
- Switch to About Microsoft Edge tab.
- The Edge will automatically start checking for updates and install if any.
Once you’ve updated the browser, just check if the STATUS_BREAKPOINT error is still appearing. I believe the error should be resolved after the update.
Update Windows or macOS
If you are running an older version of windows, then the latest version of Chrome or Edge will cause this error in your PC. So you have to update your windows to solve this issue.
Here are the steps to update Windows PC:
- Open Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Updates and security.
- On the Windows update tab, click on Check for updates.
- If any updates are available, just download and install the updates.
Similarly, we can also check for the updates in macOS. Here are the steps to update macOS:
- Click on the in the menu bar and select System Preferences…
- Select the Software Update preference from the list.
- A window will open and start checking for Software updates.
- Choose the updates from with checkbox.
- Hit on Upgrade Now command button.
The operating system upgrade sometimes has security fixes that help in resolving the problem. Hence, it’s essential from a security standpoint to keep our operating system up to date.
Remove unnecessary Extensions
Some extensions might be causing the issue. So you can try removing them from Chrome or Edge browser and check if it solves the issue.
Here are the steps to remove chrome extensions:
- Launch Chrome browser on your computer.
- Click on the menu options.
- Hover on the More Tools and choose Extensions from the list.
this will display a list of all extensions installed on chrome.
- Now click on
under any extension you wish to remove.
Similarly, we can also remove the extensions from the Edge browser:
- Launch Microsoft Edge browser on the computer.
- Tap on menu from the left top corner.
- Choose the Extensions menu from the list.
this will display the list of extensions installed on the edge chromium.
- Select the extension and hit on the Remove command link.
Although before removing any extensions, it’s best to find if the issue is with the extension only. To confirm, press Ctrl+Shift+N. This will open an incognito tab. In incognito, extensions will not work. So you can check if the issue is by the extension itself.
Try other web browsers
Now, this is not actually a solution. But you can try it to work temporarily. So first, I would suggest installing a different browser to check the issue. If this issue is not on the other browser, it might be a bug with the latest version, So you just have to wait for the devs to fix it.
Until then, you can try other browsers like Firefox or Chromium. For instance, the Chromium browser works similar to Chrome, you can live with it for a while.
We have the list of the best browsers based on the operating system that you should give a read.
Try Uninstalling a recent OS update
If this issue started to happen recently after an update, you should consider uninstalling the installed update.
Here are the steps to uninstall the recent update:
- Click on Settings and click on Updates and security.
- Now click on View installed updates.
- Finally, click on Uninstall updates at the top to uninstall any installed update.
This should fix the issue if the latest update caused the STATUS_BREAKPOINT error.
For macOS, you can consider restoring from the Time Machine.
Bottom Line: Fix STATUS_BREAKPOINT error
So as you can see, the issue is solvable to some extent, but for some people, it is not. However, you can try using another browser to resolve this issue temporarily. Return to Chrome or Edge after the devs patch it.
This problem mostly occurs if you’re using testing versions of Chrome (Chrome Canary or Unstable) or the Windows insider preview builds. If you use any of these, you should consider switching to stable versions to avoid this error.
Let us know what has helped you in resolving the STATUS_BREAKPOINT error within your browser?
Lastly, here are the recommended web browsers for your computer and mobile phone that you should give a try.
|Chrome Windows||Chrome Mac||Chrome iOS||Chrome Android||Firefox Linux|
|Firefox Windows||Safari Mac||Safari iOS||Edge Android||Chrome Linux|
|Edge Windows||Firefox Mac||Edge iOS||Samsung Internet||Edge Linux|
If you've any thoughts on How to Fix the error STATUS_BREAKPOINT on Chrome or Edge?, then feel free to drop in below comment box. Also, please subscribe to our BrowserHow YouTube channel for videos tutorials. Cheers!