I know it’s pathetic and painful to have a slow browser, especially Google Chrome, which claims to be faster than competitors. I’m an avid Chrome user and have been using it for years. There are a lot of factors that can eventually make Google Chrome slow and deteriorate page loading. We’re stuck with one question: Why is Google Chrome so slow?
Some of the common problems which users are facing when using the Chrome browser are:
- Lags while searching in the search bar and switching between tabs.
- YouTube keeps buffering and displays white space.
- The web page is prolonged to render fully.
- Frequent receiving a snap! Something went wrong while displaying this webpage.
I have experienced all these issues some time or the other on my Chrome browser. These issues are alarming and consume a lot of time. I ask myself time and again: Why is Google Chrome so slow?
In this article, I’ve mentioned all the tips and techniques that I tested and used to fix my chrome browser lags and improve the web page loading speed. And guess what, my chrome loads super fast like never before!
Note: These tips will help with Chrome’s web browsing speed and improve the chrome browser lags and slowness, whether it’s switching between tabs or launching Chrome on PC or macOS.
These are some of the reasons which can make the web page loading too slow in Chrome:
- Disruptive internet connection.
- Background apps and digital downloads.
- Software and program updates.
- Limited local storage and hardware support.
- Inflicting Chrome extensions.
We need to ensure that we do not have any of these problems that can cause Chrome to become unresponsive and eventually start lagging.
Update Google Chrome to the latest
It’s essential to keep the Chrome browser updated. If you are running the latest stable version of Chrome, then consider half of the problem is already solved.
Generally, there are performance improvements and bug fixes with the latest software releases. If you’re running the older version of Chrome, there are high chances for any security or program bugs that affect the performance. It may cause Chrome to become unstable and impact page loading speed.
All you need is to upgrade the Google chrome browser to the latest available build to eliminate slowness.
You can check the latest version and update Chrome by following these steps:
- Launch Chrome browser on the computer.
- Hit on More for options and settings.
- Hover and navigate to Help > About Google Chrome.
- Google Chrome will automatically check the latest official builds.
If any new version is available, then Chrome will start updating and ask to relaunch once the update is completed.
Navigate to Help > About Google Chrome section until you see the message “Google Chrome is up to date“.
We have now successfully updated Google chrome. Just test if this has improved Google chrome and page loading speed and answer your question: Why is Chrome so slow!
Disable Chrome Extensions and Blockers
There is a high possibility of any extension inflicting the network connection and page loading. I have an article written about a page loading issue because of an ad blocker extension.
Disable all the extensions and check if the loading issue persists. You can temporarily disable the Chrome extensions from settings.
Follow these steps to disable or remove the chrome extension:
- Launch Chrome Browser on the computer
- Open Chrome Settings from the More menu list.
- Select the Extensions tab from the left sidebar on the Settings page.
OR you can also visit the chrome://extensions/ in your Chrome browser.
- Switch the toggle button against each extension to disable it.
- Relaunch your Chrome browser.
Now test the page loading speed. If you see any improvement, then extensions are probably the culprit for causing the slowing of the browser. It will also answer why Chrome is so slow?
Toggle the switch to turn ON each extension one by one to test if any specific is causing an issue. Most of the time, the ad blockers and site blocker extensions are blocking resources which causes a slow page loading issue.
Defer Apps and Software Updates
We might have left the software and application update in the background, which is eating up all the bandwidth. It leaves less room for Chrome to use the internet, hence loading the web pages relatively slowly.
The typical macOS and Windows OS updates are in a few GBs, which can use up all the network data. Or even if there are any software program updates like Microsoft Office or Final Cut Pro are also bulky in size and may cause Google Chrome to slow.
In this case, disable the updates temporarily until you need good bandwidth for browsing. You can defer the updates overnight so that your work is not hampered in the daytime.
Just check the network monitor to understand where the bandwidth is used.
- For Windows OS, you can check the Task Manager > Network Utilization.
- For macOS, you can check the Activity Monitor > Network.
If any ongoing updates or programs use most bytes and network packs, pause it temporarily and enjoy good speed on your Chrome for browsing.
Clear Cache and Memory Storage
It is the first and fundamental thing that every chrome browser user would have suggested to you. And of course, this works at times but not every time. Browser caching is a technique for improving the browsing speed of a frequently visited site.
Unless your Chrome is heavily loaded with obsolete cache and storage, it’s a good idea to remove waste to improve the chrome speed.
Follow these steps to clear cache and memory storage from Chrome:
- Launch your slow Chrome browser.
- Hit on More for options, and select Settings from the list.
- Lookup for the Clear browsing data option; you can even use the search bar within the Settings page.
- Open Clear browsing data and switch to the Advanced tab.
- From the Time range dropdown, select All time.
- Select the checkboxes against — Browsing history, Download history, Cookies, and other site data, Cached images and files, Site settings, and lastly, Hosted app data.
- Do not select the Passwords and other sign-in data and Auto-fill form data option unless you want to delete these data completely.
- Finally, hit on command button.
It will clear all the existing cache data and storage memory of your local chrome browser. Quit and restart the browser to test the chrome responsiveness and web page loading speed.
Note: Clearing cache and cookies storage will sign out all the accounts on your browser. You may need to re-login again.
Upgrade the Storage and Hardware Support
Let me share my personal experience here.
I have a Windows PC running on the HDD (the good old mechanical hard disk) with 8 GB of RAM. Whenever I used to start my Windows PC or even open any application, it would take a lot of time. Imagine the startup time of 28 seconds!!
Whenever I check the Task Manager for performance, I encounter disk utilization is 100%.
I thought of upgrading the HDD to SSD (Solid State Drive) storage. It was expensive but worth upgrading the hardware. Now my booting time is 4 seconds. Heavy software programs and even the chrome browser are launched in a snap.
I still use the old HDD as an external hard disk and backup if anything goes wrong with Windows 10 OS. You can watch this video tutorial about migrating Windows OS from HDD to SSD.
Apart from migrating to SSD, we also need to consider the storage space, which plays an equal role in running the chrome browser. If you do not have enough space in Macintosh HD or C:\\ Drive in Windows, then Chrome or any program will misbehave and respond slowly to all the requests.
Upgrading the hardware should be last on your list. But, as I said, it’s worth it. I’m enjoying the Chrome browser on my Windows PC.
Improve Slow Chrome browser
Here are a few other tips that are worth mentioning to improve the Chrome loading speed:
- Run through Anti-virus and Anti-malware scans.
- Check your ISP fluctuations and network problem, if any.
- Verify if the downgraded version on Google Chrome works.
- Reinstall Chrome on your Machine to notice any changes.
- Toggle “Use hardware acceleration when available” under Chrome> Settings > Advanced > System to check which mode is better, either OFF or ON.
- Turn off Experimental QUIC Protocol by navigating to chrome://flags and search for QUIC and disable it from the dropdown.
- You can download the Chrome Canary for the unstable version of Google Chrome built for developers; however, the updates are frequent and nightly.
- Update Operating System to the latest version.
I hope this will answer your recurring question: Why is Google Chrome so slow?
Alternatives to Google Chrome
Here are a few notable alternatives for the Google Chrome web browser.
- Mozilla Firefox (my preference)
- Microsoft Edge (it’s Chromium-based just like Google Chrome)
- Opera Browser
- Apple Safari
Bottom Line: Google Chrome Slow
I find these techniques effective in every case. I have Macbook Air, and these tips to improve Google Chrome browsing slowness work in macOS.
It helped me be more effective and efficient at all times. I could also find the question: Why is Google Chrome so slow?
Let me know what has worked and fix the chrome browser slowness. Whether disabling the extensions or clearing the storage cache? I’d like to hear from you.
Also, please mention if any other method has worked for you that I haven’t added to the list.
F.A.Q: Chrome Browser Slow
We have listed a few of the frequently asked questions related to the slowness of the Chrome browser and how to fix it:
How to solve the problem of Google Chrome running Slow?
You can try several fixes to solve Chrome’s running slow problem, such as updating to the latest Chrome version, Clearing cache, Disable extensions and blockers, or you can also try updating your hardware and software.
Why is the Chrome browser running Slow?
There might be several issues behind Chrome running slow such as pending Chrome updates, interrupted internet connection, limited local storage, inflicting extensions, etc.
How to Clear the Cache in Google Chrome?
To clear cache in Chrome, hit on the three dots in the top right corner and click on settings. Now, look for clear browsing data and open it. In the advanced option, check the box as per your preferences and tap on Clear data.